Important Things to Help Secure Your Home
Home Security Checklist
The Jefferson County Sheriff department has generated a very good home security checklist. You can click this link for a printable pdf version or this link for a Microsoft Word version where you can add items for your personal circumstances.
Notes from Jefferson County Sheriff Department Home Security Meeting
Deputy Brian Peterson conducted a very informative meeting Monday 12/10/2018 covering a lot of home security issues. Below is a list of some of the high points.
- He stressed that even though most liked to be helpful the most important thing you can do is protect yourself first. Make certain you and yours are safe.
- The vast majority of burglaries are crimes of opportunity.
- Keep your home well light inside and out.
- Install your deadbolts so they go into a stud not just the door frame.
- ENGRAVE EVERYTHING! Figure out a code that works for you and then engrave it on all your tools, appliances, etc. This is excellent to help dissuade burglars. DO NOT use any part of driver’s license or social security number.
- Video all your belongings.
- Inventory all your belongings.
- Burglars love tools. Make sure they are secure and engraved. Do not leave in back of your truck.
- Consider putting bars on windows in your shop/storage buildings.
- CALL THE SHERIFF IF SOMETHING LOOKS OUT OF PLACE.
It is much better to err on the side of caution.
- As far as securing mailboxes he said that the only good option is a post office box. Even locked boxes are very easy to break into.